Accessory Structures

Accessory Structures in the City of Shelby include sheds and detached garages. The structure shall be located in the rear yard and at least 5′ off the rear and side property lines. If the structure is over 199 square feet, you are required to obtain a building permit from the Richland County Building Department. All contractors shall be registered with the City of Shelby. A site plan shall be submitted with the zoning application. Below are links for applications, sample site plan, and contractor registration information.

Download Forms


Joseph C. Gies, C.F.M., Zoning Inspector
43 W. Main St.
Shelby, OH 44875

Office Hours:
Monday-Friday 8am – 4pm