The legislative powers of the City, except as limited by its Charter, are vested in a Council of five members who are elected every two years.
City Council Powers & Duties
A councilmember is elected from each of the four wards and one councilmember elected at large.
Some specific powers and duties of the Council of the City of Shelby are:
- Enact legislation in the form of ordinances and resolutions
- Confirm mayoral appointments to board and commissions
- Determine the salaries, bonds, and other compensation of officers and employees
- Authorize contracts for public works projects and major purchases
- Appropriate the expenditures of public moneys
- Set electric, water, and sewer rates
- Levy and collect special assessments
At-Large: Steven McLaughlin, (419) 566-8528
First Ward: Charles Roub Jr,(419) 347-6676
Second Ward: Derrin Roberts, (419) 961-3116
Third Ward: Garland John Gates, (419) 347-3337
Fourth Ward: Nathan Martin, (567) 275-2525
Shelby City Council meets every month on the first and third Mondays, at 7 pm, in the Shelby Justice Center, 29 Mack Avenue.
A live feed of the City Council chambers is provided for all meetings. All meetings will be streamed “real-time” as they occur. Past meetings are available via the City of Shelby YouTube channel.